27 February 2013

Joint Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead


Title:  The Indigo Spell
Author:  Richelle Mead
File type:  hardcover
Release date:  February 12th, 2011
Genre:  YA, paranormal romance, urban fantasy, vampires

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.







Bow to the Vampire Queen Richelle Mead! She did something I didn't expect at all. She  made me love Sydney. I liked her before but after reading those steamy scenes with Adrian she showed me she is capable of changing. Her awkwardness and coldness made me laugh at loud a couple of times and that made think Richelle sure knows what she's doing. I don't even miss Rose that much. I know! Blasphemy! 

Bloodlines wasn't my favorite book, The Golden Lily made up for that and finally The Indigo Spell continued on the right direction. I wasn't blown away because nothing monumental happened,except for the kissing scenes which were spectacular. Man, Adrian sure puts up with a lot. Sydney keeps kissing him and then acting so defensive later,like it's forbidden and wrong. That is the only thing that I didn't like about her. 

My bb Adrian is amazing as always. He is so protective, 'manly and brave' as Sydney says. He is honest with Sydney from the start and is not going to give up them.  He is also attending his art classes and even gets into a fight with Marcus because of her. *sigh* He looks great in a tucks and his hair is perfectly styled. He doesn't need to be a guardian to kick some serious ass. *double sigh* 
Eddie, Jill are even more irrelevant in this novel while Angeline is (always) up to no good. I have no idea how they can put up with her crap because she can't stay out of trouble even for a day. There's always something happening in her life, even if we don't know it at first. Jill toned down her moping and whining and actually starts giving great advices to Sydney. She probably got tired of Sydney jerking Adrian around so much, just like I did. 

There's also a new 'character' in The Indigo Spell. His name is Hopper and he is amazing. Don't want to spoil everything/anything. 







"It was not in my nature to show violence or try to take another's life. It was, however, in my nature to save my own life and those of my loved ones." 

For all my patience and intense anticipation, The Indigo Spell was really disappointing. I have no clue where to start from because there are so many things to point out and so many things to say. But I shall try. 

The Indigo Spell started on a great note. It was the classic Richelle Mead move. Introduce the book in such a way that it not only excites you but really entertains you too and you just can't wait to jump into the book and get lost into it. The start was pretty simple, you have the conflict of the plot, you have your main protagonist, you have humour, you have the building of the plot and then you have , Adrian. *dies*
By this time , I'm totally into Adrian the plot and am this greedy old granny who wants to not be disturbed and just wants what she wants right at that moment. It was all very intense.

There are times when you're finally reading a book you were really excited for and while you're reading it, that feeling is really evident that there is something very very wrong and that it's not making you as happy as it should and as it intends to. This was one of those times. The midsection of the book was really bland for me. I'm not saying that this wasn't an enjoyable read because that can never be the case with a book that has Adrian in it. But then again Adrian isn't going to be everywhere! Oh but how I wish that that were the case....

Anywaaaay.

What's worse is that I always ended up comparing the Vampire Academy series to this one and this whole comparing business, further made me not like this book even more. And the conflict? I'm sorry but I felt that the conflict was not that conflicting. I remember the doses of adrenaline I got while reading about Rose battling out the Strigoi or Rose going to hunt Strigoi or the Dimitri-Strigoi hunt or the let's-save-Lissa-stunt that Rose used to always pull or the whole goddamn series for all I know! But in this case, it is not. I know it's not fair to compare both the series or maybe it is or maybe not but honestly, it's the third book..how much longer is it going to take for things to finally take off? Or has the take off already happened because I'm not feeling it. 

Another thing I don't like and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be shot for that. Okay. One. *Inhale* *Exhale* Two *Inhale* *Exhale* THREE!

I thought the end was a total cringefest and the Adrian and Sydney love angle? It's a given but I'm not a believer. 

OH GOD.

I shall discuss this further with the ones who have read the book but let's just continue for now.

Now where was I? Ah yes--Me and my disappointment. This isn't the classic-est book of all and that's pretty obvious but then there are fun things in it as well! 

Hellooooo Adrian. *Whistles at him like a perv*

Adrian was his amazing self. Eddie was almost non-existent. Jill was well...Jill. Angeline was Angeline. And Trey was Trey , Ms. Terwilliger is a total badass and the character of Marcus Finch shows promise. 
There were situations that did get me pumped up! Like the Jill-Eddie-Angeline love triangle. Oh dude. I am totally backing the direction it's going in. And Sydney's character has had a serious growth spurt. 
I'm telling you. She isn't as annoying as she used to be and sounds a little human. And even though I found the book bland when it came to the matter of conflict and plot, the things in the book show signs of a pretty good storyline in future. Like for example, the Alchemist and Warriors of Light mystery and Jill's future. So things look pretty okay for now but then they always do. I'm hoping for a Shadow Kiss moment where I just die and go to paradise but that moment hasn't shown up yet and I'm seriously waiting for it. Seriously.

You must be wondering, dude what about the Sydrian moments?
Oh they're pretty good. VERY GOOD actually. 
I was literally hyperventilating while reading. So much intensity. So much NEED. All our wait for those Sydrian moments has paid off. *sings*

Adrian is so sexy. *coughs*

ADRIAN IS A BOMB. bombbombombbombbombbomb. 
I want to have Adrian for myself. That's what I want. I want him. Give me him. I demand him. Oh dear lord.

I WANT THE NEXT BOOK NOW. I need. I neeeeeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment