14 May 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #17




Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects


  1. If He Had Been With Me by Laura Nowlin - One of this year's biggest surprised. This story is heartbreaking. I recommend it to anyone. Seriously people! This needs to be read. 
  2. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma - Ahh. Forbidden. This book is a killer. 
  3. The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis - This is even a bigger shocker than Forbidden. I feel like this destroyed a piece of my soul after I was done. 
  4. Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick - I read it late last year and I still can't get it out of my mind. 
  5. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes - Gah! I'm still mad it ended that way. I won't spoil it for anyone who's interested but it's a must read. 




  1. We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver - I borrowed this book from my cousin last year and I couldn't believe my eyes. 
  2. Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts - The only erotica book on this list. There are erotic books and there is Captive in the Dark. It's the darkest erotic book I've ever read. 
  3. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - One of the first YA books I've read and I still love it after all this time. 
  4. Falling Under by Danielle Younge-Ullman - It's sad that not a lot of people read this amazingly depressing book. I assure you, it will bring you down for sure. I was a mess after reading it for days. 
  5. Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara - Wow! People! This book is truly beautiful. It's hard for me to find the words to describe it. 

I didn't reveal much about this list because I didn't wanted to spoil it for those who haven't read it but some of the issues they're dealing are: suicide, murder, kidnapping, rape, massacre, teacher- student relationship, euthanasia. 



5 comments:

  1. I just got If He Had Been With Me! I read the first chapter at the bookstore and it started off much better than I expected - I'm excited to read the whole thing. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo, a fellow Drowning Instinct lover. I think Bick handled the situation of an inappropriate relationship with such tact and taste, without preaching or over sensationalizing it. One of my favorite books for sure.

    I also loved If He Had Been With Me! I thought I was going to love it, but I didn't think my heart would completely SHATTER. One of my favorites reads this year by far.

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally someone knows the Storyteller! That book was just so...I can't even describe it. I was told before how mind -blowing I'd find it - but it was nothing like I expected. Very sad, though, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I like issue books, I tend to stick with the less soul-destroying kind! For instance, I have DROWNING INSTINCT because I'm a big Bick fan, but I can't bring myself to actually READ it. I'm kind of a wimp that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great List! I haven't read some of them, so now they're on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete