20 January 2014

The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Publisher: Angry Robot      
Publication date: January 29th 2013
My rating: 5 stars

"Cat, this is Finn. He's going to be your tutor."
Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is now to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion...and more. But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world, and in Cat's heart.
I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi books. I tend to stick with dystopian novels full of destruction, urban fantasies with smoking romance or just read a quiet contemporary novel. But for quite some time now I've been searching for a great urban fantasy novel and keep seeing this book even though it's not even UF. So, I decided to just read it yesterday and boy was I glad I did.

The Mad Scientist's Daughter is the first book to get a spot on my 'best-of-2014' shelf. It was thought-provoking, enthralling, beautiful. A breath of fresh air in the stale air of adult fiction category. The only reason I didn't read it in one day is I had to take a break because the mighty feels of this book started to choke me. 

Cat was a carefree child and her parents decided she would eventually had to go to school so her father's android assistant starts tutoring her. Over the years Cat starts falling in love with Finn (the android). She's ashamed and confused because let's face it- he's a freaking android, a machine! He's not a human and he can't feel anything, or can he? I was conflicted because Finn did seems more robotic instead of human so I can't even begin to imagine what Cat must be going through.

Cat tried to stay away from Finn after she left for college, dating other men and hanging out with her artistic friends but she still somehow managed to see Finn from time to time. I've read a couple of review where people would complain about Cat's behavior but I understand her. She did try to stay away from him/keep him a secret. Everyone's quick to judge someone else but what would they do if they were in the same situation? I highly doubt they would be walking around holding an android's hand in front of everyone. It's not easy to love an android who doesn't seem to have feelings. 

Cat grown up through this book and I usually find this type of books extremely boring. Turns out I didn't mind it this time around. Every single chapter was flowing steady. I have no objections. The Mad Scientist's Daughter was perfection and Cassandra Rose Clarke should write more adult fiction. She's a natural. I'll check out her YA fantasy series one of these days. 

Here are my gif reactions to this book







1 comment:

  1. Wow -- this sounds really interesting, and I missed it on my new release post. So thanks for telling me about it. I'm going to go add it right now!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete