07 August 2014

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Book: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
File type: Kindle edition
Releasing Date: August 5th 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
My ratings: four out of five

synopsis:
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.
Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.
They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.
Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.


If only you all could see my face when I finally finished the book.

It wasn't one which screamed ecstasy.
It wasn't a face which resounded heartbreak.
It was nothing but mind-boggling, ground-shaking, wind-blowing utter shock and surprise. 

This is a novel about a girl and boy who meet each other, are sexually and physically attracted to each other and decide that they're going to stick with a friends with benefits arrangement because they have no time for love.

We all know how that ends.

But. This. was. actually. quite. surprising. 
There I was, ready to be not so impressed because I've always been presumptuous and judgemental but then suddenly I realised that I'm actually quite into it and that I don't...hate it.
How nice.

This is divided into sections which give you a backstory and simultaneously show you what's going on in the real world. So it's a gradual succession, until you reach a point where you finally get to know what the entire fuss is about. the fuss being the question and its answer to why Miles doesn't want to give into a future with Tate. 
Honestly, such situations annoy the crap out of me. The characters may understand what they're doing but I certainly don't. Also, such situations make donkeys and potatoes of even the best characters. 
But here's me re-establishing my point. I was surprised.

Individually, I don't mind the characters. They may have had stupid reasons for carrying on with their 'arrangement' even if both of them were aware about its obvious consequences, but what can I say? They were horny. Case closed. 

Otherwise, I loved the balance created by the author. Miles past brings into the fore another character and his relationship with that character and even THAT was pretty appealing to me. IF the present got too weird, it was soon followed by the past which countered its weirdness and vice versa. 

I was listening to this while reading the book and it may or may not have influenced my opinion. It's a fantastic song either way. 
Overall, a nice, entertaining novel which keeps you engrossed, and like me, even happy. 


4 comments:

  1. I loved this book and I love this author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so awesome. I couldn't not think about the book after finishing it, it was that good. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it too! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely review, Devyani. Glass made me read this book so I'm starting tonight. Hope I'll like it.

    Props to you for listening to The 1975. I love that band,especially their acoustic performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glass is a goddess. I would've forced you to read it if she hadn't!
      Ah yes. I'd have to thank my friend for that. :D

      Delete